Tuesday, February 5, 2008

First Few Days in Paris


I arrived safely to Paris with my luggage, but the rest of the day did not go as smoothly.  Christy and I waited around for forty minutes for our shuttle.  Finally we called them and it turned out that they were also waiting for us at another terminal.  We got into the city just fine, but I missed most of it because I passed out in the shuttle.  When we arrived to our apartment we called the program director to find out our next step.  That's when we found out our apartment was not ready, but luckily they placed us at a hotel right in front of our apartment that happened to also have an elevator.  The elevator was so small that we had to make several trips but alas we were near a bed.  We then went out into the city and picked a charming restaurant that was reasonably priced.  I was all set to order in French when the waiter told us that that menu was not available so off the cuff I decided to order lamb.  The food was good, but my French was not so the waiter hardly made any eye contact with me but seemed to love Christy.  The conversation during dinner was mute.  I was so tired that I couldn't even sit up straight in my chair.  

That night we slept ten hours straight and when we awoke we had a care package to eat that was provided through the program.  When we left we decided to walk to Notre Dame and from there we would walk along the Seine to the Eiffel Tower.  Along our way we stopped at the Pantheon (a five minute walk from our apartment) and it was also my first view of the Eiffel Tower.  I nearly fainted; it was a pleasant surprise.  The tower seemed so close but when walked there after the Notre Dame it was quite the walk.  I would love to go into greater detail, but there is too much to discuss.

I will leave you with this last piece of info.  We did eventually get our apartment.  It is on the 3rd floor and they do not have an elevator so we had to lug our 100 lb. luggage up a winding staircase.  The apartment is small but I think we both anticipated a much smaller place so we are happy with this one.  Also, we have internet access so when Christy isn't using her laptop I will be checking my email.  The real last piece of info is that I did get to see Morrissey in concert and he was awesome like always.  

1 comment:

Becky said...

Wow I didnt know you would have your own stair master ;)in the apartment!
I hope you sleep well tonight, and dream in French.
<3
Becky